A tale of two sisters- How to maintain a thriving family business!
Anyone who really knows me, knows that I love getting my hair and nails done, that’s just a part of who I am!
In following my nail technician(Camille) around I came across a lovely hair and beauty salon named Halos, owned by two sisters Joy and Yaema which was founded and has remained established since 1998.
In my mind, based on my experience, they achieved what they aimed for in terms of the ambience, warm and friendly atmosphere which is sadly missing from many beauty salons today even though they face huge competition in the local area!
In my brief interview with Joy (whose background is legal conveyancing), I wanted to establish how she and her sister managed to survive recessions, competition and saturation of the market (when they started out back in the 1980’s hair technology such as weaves and nail technology was practically non-existent in the UK).
Interestingly enough their approach to closure of business is that it may be at times be necessary but not necessarily a negative, rather an opportunity to be creative in going forward!
I asked them for just 5 helpful tips they would like to send out to SMEs and these were as follows:
1) Be able to do what your employees can do so that if they leave you are not stuck!
2) Have a personal life as well as a business one. It’s very easy to let business take over your life!
3) Love what you do and even when the odds appear to be against you, you will find a way to keep it going!
4) Create a happy working environment not just for you, also your employees!
5) Make sure you are making some money!
Joy and I
Hoping you will find this helpful as you go through your business journey. Why? Because………..